OUR OBJECTIVE IS:
To provide a network for graduates of the University of Oxford working in the law to discuss career issues, particularly those facing women, to share experiences and to enhance their relationship with each other and the Oxford Faculty of Law.
We will aim to achieve this through:
- Holding talks, meetings and events to facilitate networking amongst female alumnae, Faculty and current students
- Using social media to promote a sense of community
- Discussion of employment practices in relation to gender with law firms, chambers and other legal environments, informed by experience amongst existing groups and employers with schemes to promote the careers of women
- A speaker series focusing on leadership development, career advancement and strategies
- Liaison with other women’s groups such as the Bar Council, Law Society, colleges and international women’s networks.
About the network
OWL will provide graduates working in the legal profession with a neutral environment where they can meet with like-minded people and share their experiences. Through networking, OWL will enable its members to grow in their existing roles and consider their future career path. It will also bring them together with colleagues working in different ways within the profession and provide a meeting ground for university friends.
OWL allows us to stay in touch with our alumni. Networking will benefit current, future and past students as well as interested members of Faculty. We hope to facilitate internships, shadowing and mentoring through this network.
OWL aims to help establish best practice for recruitment and retention of women in firms and at the Bar with guidance from existing and similar groups within the legal profession. It will be advised at a high strategic level by a panel of patrons and a steering group of alumni.
We plan to organise regular events to facilitate networking and information sharing. Please email our alumni team with any ideas for future events.