CSLS Student Support Scheme

Offered annually during the long Summer Vacation: the Scheme is open to continuing students due to be enrolled on DPhil programmes at the Centre for the full academic year, including probationary DPhil research students. 

Assistance is given to cover the College Fee charged, so students must be planning to pursue their studies at the University for the full year.

Students benefitting from this scheme are asked to contribute to the general academic and/or social life of the Centre. This can take several forms, and has recently included one or more of the following:

•         Student/Programme Representative at Centre and/or Faculty level

•         Production of the Journal of the Oxford Centre for Socio-Legal Studies

•         Co-ordinator of a Socio-Legal Discussion Group

•         Practical support with the Centre’s annual events calendar (workshops/lectures)

Applications are invited in July, with outcomes known by September. The application normally includes a short statement about the progress of the research project, with brief mention of any existing key sources of funding support, and an outline of a proposed contribution to CSLS.

CSLS Research Support

A small fund is available to support student research and to supplement the resources offered by the Law Faculty and Colleges.  Students may apply once per year for a grant of up to £500. Preference is be given to applications for expenses related to fieldwork, although the Centre will normally consider claims related to conference attendance (generally once during the course of the doctorate) and others for which good reason is given. Applications/queries should be directed towards the Centre Administrator. Your application should be supported by your supervisor, and the application should take the form of a short explanation of the proposed expenditure and the way in which it relates to your project. You should also indicate why it is not possible to obtain the necessary funds from either the Faculty or your College. Your application should be supported and signed by your supervisor.

Please note that in any one year you will only be able to receive funds from both the Centre and the Faculty in exceptional circumstances.

Advances can be requested in specific cases, if:

  • you will be travelling away from your normal place of work for a period including at least one night and will be incurring expenses in excess of £100, or

  • a cash float is required for a specific activity or event that is either a one-off or of limited duration, e.g. for payments to participants in a study

Faculty Travel Grant

Any graduate student taking a research degree under the auspices of the Law Board may apply to the Graduate Studies Committee for a grant for travel associated with their studies. However, students funded by the ESRC or AHRC should apply for the Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) in the first instance, via their designated divisional contact. There are two possible grounds on which a grant may be given. The first is that empirical research is required to complete the project and that this empirical research may be undertaken at another location. The second is that a chapter of your thesis is being presented at an academic conference. Applications should always be made before the event. The normal limit for travel grants to any one student in any one year is £250. Further information and application forms may be obtained from Mrs. Jackie Hall, Law Faculty Office, St. Cross Building (Tel: 271045; e-mail: jackie.hall@law.ox.ac.uk

Other sources of help

Check with your College on any funds available to help with on-going research costs.

Listings of graduate funding support and scholarships are to be found on the University's web-site; this includes general tips and links to external funder listings. 

Paid tutorial work is often available at colleges. You are permitted to undertake a limited amount (up to 6 hours per week) of such teaching or research assistance, although not in your first year, and only in consultation with your supervisor.