Past Visitors

The Research Visitor Programme encourages mid-career and senior scholars, judges, practitioners, post-doctoral researchers and policy-makers engaged in the field of human rights law to visit the Bonavero Institute of Human Rights. Please note there is a fee associated with this scheme and these are detailed further within the programme guidelines.

The programme is designed for visitors who plan a period of self-directed study to spend time at the Institute to undertake research. Graduate students, whether at doctoral or master’s level, are not eligible for this programme, and we suggest you look at the University of Oxford’s website detailing the recognised student scheme. For early career scholars, practitioners and post-doctoral researchers we also have a specific non-stipendiary ‘Early Career Fellowship Programme’.

Research Visitors to the Institute will have the opportunity to participate in many of the activities of the Institute and are encouraged to contribute to the collegial research environment.  Research Visitors will be entitled to make use of the University’s research facilities and libraries, and to attend seminars and lectures and other academic gatherings open to the university community. Senior Research Visitors may apply to be appointed as Visiting Fellows of Mansfield College and all Institute Research Visitors may apply separately for Mansfield College Senior Common Room (SCR) membership.

Before applying to this scheme, you will need to establish a ‘sponsor’ within the Faculty of Law or Institute who will support your visit. Staff contact details can be found here.

Once you have the support of a sponsor, please read the guidelines and complete the Research Visitor Programme Application Form and send to the Programmes Administrator.

The Institute cannot make applications for visas on behalf of Visitors but will provide the necessary documentation to confirm a stay as Visitor to the Institute. Appropriate visas must be obtained before arrival. For useful information regarding the type of visa you need to apply for a visit, please visit the University Visa and Immigration page.