Fees and payment
Please note that the fees information below is for those applying for the 2023 programme through Oxford University (i.e. all those from outside North America - see 'Application procedure' below). Fees and payment information for North American applicants is listed in US dollars on the website of George Washington University Law School with whom the programme is jointly run.
Application fee: £25.00
You will be required to pay a non-refundable application fee of £25.00 when you submit your application. No application can be considered where the application fee has not been paid. This will be deducted from the programme fee if you are offered and accept a place on the course.
Programme fee: £9,250
Fees include tuition, reading materials, library fees, ensuite accommodation for 25 nights and three meals a day from dinner on the start day to breakfast on the final day. Travel and insurance are not included.
Payment of programme fee
Successful applicants who accept their offer of a place on the Summer School will be provided with instructions to pay the programme fee online. Full payment will be due by 1 May 2023 but earlier payment is strongly recommended as both ensuite rooms and class choices are allocated on a first-come first-served basis according to payment date, in the event of oversubscription.
Late applicants (see 'Application deadline' in Applications) are normally required to pay the full fee within 7 days.
Please note that:
- An applicant's place on the summer school is not confirmed until their fees have been paid in full.
- Under no circumstances will students be admitted to the summer school unless all fees have been paid in full.
- Places will not be held for students whose fees are not paid in full by the due date.
- The programme fee includes an ensuite room as most of the bedrooms at New College have ensuite (private) bathrooms. However, there are a small number with shared bathroom facilities. If there are more participants then available ensuite rooms, these rooms will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis according to payment date. Therefore, if an ensuite room is very important to you, we advise you to apply early and pay as soon as possible if you are offered a place. If you pay your fees and we are not able to offer you an ensuite room, we will refund you the cost of the ensuite room. We will also offer a full refund if this affects your decision to attend the programme.
- Students are expected to take out vacation cancellation insurance to cover the programme fee and travel costs (see Cancellation policy for further information);
When you have paid your fees
Your place on the summer school is confirmed as soon as your payment is received. When you make payment, you should receive a receipt followed by confirmation of your place and further information about the course. This will include access to the course website and how to prepare for the course and for your arrival in the UK (e.g. what to bring, travel, arrival and departure times, college facilities, dress code etc.). If you live outside the UK you will also receive a letter confirming your enrolment on the summer school which may be used to support your application for a visa. Please see Immigration and visas for further information.
Neither the University of Oxford nor the George Washington University can provide funding for this course. Participants are therefore encouraged to contact the following institutions who have funded applicants in previous years or have provided assistance in searching for funding:
- The British Council in your home country
- The British Embassy or High Commission in your home country (click here to find contact details)
- Agencies within the United Nations (primarily for their employees)
Participants are encouraged to apply to these institutions as early as possible.
All enrolments are subject to the terms and conditions set out below.
A contract between Oxford University Bonavero Institute for Human Rights and a student comes into being when a student accepts an offer of a place on the summer school.
You have the right to cancel this contract at any time within 14 days, beginning on the day you accepted the offer.
Please be aware that if you cancel your place at any time after the expiry of the 14-day period you will not be entitled to a full refund of the price paid for the summer school.
If you wish to cancel your place on the summer school you must inform the Course Administrator by email at email@example.com.
You are expected to take out vacation cancellation insurance to cover the programme fee and travel costs, and you should consult your travel agent and/or insurer for information and advice. Oxford University does not provide any insurance cover.
Oxford University reserves the right to alter details of any course should illness or any other emergency prevent a tutor from teaching, and to cancel a course or seminar if exceptionally low enrolment would make it educationally unviable.
The status of this course will be reviewed on 1 May 2023. If it is likely that individual seminars or the course may be cancelled, all those affected will be notified by email within 7 days, and possible options clearly explained.
If you have not heard from Oxford University by 8 May 2023, you should assume that the course and all seminars will be running (though we cannot guarantee you will be in your first choice of class); there is no need to contact us to confirm