Ioannis Kampourakis is a Postdoctoral Associate at the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, University of Oxford, and, currently, also a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Edmond J Safra for Ethics, Tel Aviv University. Ioannis' research interests lie at the intersection of legal theory and political economy, with a focus on transnational corporate power and human rights. He works on issues related to the governance of Global Value Chains, transnational labour regulation, corporate and worker-driven social responsibility, and business and human rights, as well as questions of EU economic governance. Ioannis's research agenda is motivated by the normative question of how the economy can be democratised. He has taught in the fields of 'Juriprudence and Political Economy' and 'Business and Human Rights'.
Ioannis holds a PhD in Law (Summa Cum Laude) from the Free University of Berlin, where he studied as a stipendiary Fellow of the international doctoral programme, 'Human Rights Under Pressure'. His PhD was on the protection of whistleblowers in comparative law.
Ioannis also holds a Master 2 in Droit Public Fondamental from Université Paris I-Sorbonne and a 4-year LLB from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Ioannis has also been a visiting fellow at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and at the South African Institute of Advanced Constitutional Law (SAIFAC). He has worked as a trainee lawyer for the Legal Council of State in Athens, Greece, appointed to the Ministry of Administrative Reform. Apart from his academic endeavours, Ioannis is also a published author of fiction and he has been shortlisted for the 'National Literature Award - Prize for Debut Author' in Greece.
- 'Transnational Corporate Regulation and the Postmodern Ordering of the Economy' Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies (Forthcoming – Fall 2020).
- 'CSR and Social Rights: Juxtaposing Societal Constitutionalism and Rights-Based Approaches Imposing Human Rights Obligations on Corporations' (2019) 9(3) Goettingen Journal of International Law 537.
- Book review: 'Moyn, Samuel, Not Enough: Human Rights in an Unequal World' (2020) 83(1) Modern Law Review 229.
- 'The Role of the State in Disrupting the Distribution of Power within Global Value Chains' (2019), Law and Political Economy Blog, available at: https://lpeblog.org/2019/12/17/the-role-of-the-state-in-disrupting-the-distribution-of-power-within-gvcs/.
- 'Law and Political Economy in Europe: Transnationalizing the Discourse' (2019), Law and Political Economy Blog, available at: https://lpeblog.org/2019/11/18/law-and-political-economy-in-europe-transnationalizing-the-discourse/.
- 'Political disillusionment in Greece: toward a post-political state?' (2017), Open Democracy, available at: https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/ioannis-kampourakis/political-disillusionment-in-greece-toward-post-political-state.
- 'Nancy Fraser: Subaltern Counterpublics' (2016), Critical Legal Thinking, available at: http://criticallegalthinking.com/2016/11/06/nancy-fraser-subaltern-counterpublics/.
- Legal Theory
- Transnational Law
- Transnational Labour Regulation
- Human Rights
- Corporate Sustainability
- EU Economic Governance