Ioannis Kampourakis is a Postdoctoral Associate at the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, University of Oxford and a Postdoctoral Researcher at Erasmus School of Law, Erasmus University Rotterdam. Prior to his appointment at ESL Rotterdam, Ioannis was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Edmond J Safra Center for Ethics at Tel Aviv University (2019-2020) and a Career Development Postdoctoral Fellow at CSLS, Oxford (2018-2019).
Ioannis' research interests lie at the intersection of legal theory and political economy, with a focus on transnational economic governance. Drawing from the governance and regulation of Global Value Chains, Ioannis investigates the transformations in the form and function of law in contemporary supply chain capitalism. His project explores the rule of law and private power.
Ioannis holds a PhD in Law from the Free University of Berlin, a Master's from Université Paris I-Sorbonne, and an LLB from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Ioannis has been a Visiting Professor at Tel Aviv University and a Visiting Lecturer at Riga Graduate School of Law, as well as a visiting fellow at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and at the South African Institute of Advanced Constitutional, Public, Human Rights, and International Law (SAIFAC). Apart from his academic endeavours, Ioannis is also a published author of fiction.
- 'The Postmodern Legal Ordering of the Economy' (2020) Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies (Forthcoming).
- 'Protecting National Security Whistleblowers in the U.S. and in the European Court of Human Rights: The Limits of Balancing and the Social Value of Public Disclosures' (2020) 46(2) Yale Journal of International Law (Forthcoming).
- 'Empiricism, Constructivism, and Grand Theory in Sociological Approaches to Law: The Case of Transnational Private Regulation' (2020) 21(7) German Law Journal 1411.
- 'CSR and Social Rights: Juxtaposing Societal Constitutionalism and Rights-Based Approaches Imposing Human Rights Obligations on Corporations' (2019) 9(3) Goettingen Journal of International Law 537.
- Book review: 'Moyn, Samuel, Not Enough: Human Rights in an Unequal World' (2020) 83(1) Modern Law Review 229.
- Blog Posts:
- 'The Role of the State in Disrupting the Distribution of Power within Global Value Chains' (2019), Law and Political Economy Blog, available at: https://lpeblog.org/2019/12/17/the-role-of-the-state-in-disrupting-the-distribution-of-power-within-gvcs/.
- 'Law and Political Economy in Europe: Transnationalizing the Discourse' (2019), Law and Political Economy Blog, available at: https://lpeblog.org/2019/11/18/law-and-political-economy-in-europe-transnationalizing-the-discourse/.
- 'Political disillusionment in Greece: toward a post-political state?' (2017), Open Democracy, available at: https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/ioannis-kampourakis/political-disillusionment-in-greece-toward-post-political-state.
- 'Nancy Fraser: Subaltern Counterpublics' (2016), Critical Legal Thinking, available at: http://criticallegalthinking.com/2016/11/06/nancy-fraser-subaltern-counterpublics/.
Journal Article (6)
Internet Publication (4)
- Legal Theory and Political Economy
- Global Value Chains
- Transnational Private Regulation
- Human Rights (particularly Business and Human Rights)
- Sustainability (ESG factors, CSR, sustainable finance, etc.)
- EU Economic Governance