In this section:

  1. Introductory notes
  2. Additional/Replacement teaching to provide cover due to leave/sabbatical of a Faculty member
  3. Special additional teaching to enrich the course subject
  4. Teaching in excess of normal Faculty stint (other than BCL tutorials)
  5. BCL/MJur tutorials
  6. Rates of pay for additional teaching
  7. Other key information about additional teaching

1. Introductory notes

The Law Board will, in certain circumstances, authorise payments for lectures or seminars.  Ideally, the Board seeks applications for such payments in the spring of each academic year in respect of teaching which will be given in the following academic year.  The regulations governing such payments are given below, and the application form should be used in all cases. Please note that permission should be granted before teaching occurs. 

Applications for payments under this scheme should, in all cases, be made by a member of the Faculty and, if that person is not the Subject Convenor, applications need to be countersigned by the current Subject Convenor before being submitted to the Faculty Office.

Applications should be returned to the Personnel Officer, Brooke Martin-Garbutt and queries should be addressed to Brooke in the first instance via

2. Additional teaching to provide cover due to leave/sabbatical of a Faculty member

When Faculty members take leave they are required to complete a leave form, and are asked to confirm whether substitute teaching will be required.  If this has been done, Faculty members/course convenors will not be required to apply for additional teaching on the Additional Teaching application form, but must still pass on to the Personnel Officer the details of who will  provide cover for the absence before the teaching commences.  This should include the person’s name, contact details, subject and hours, and should be sent to  (For administrative purposes, if substitute teaching is required, this information will be recorded against the additional teaching budget.) Once Brooke receives the details of the person providing the teaching, she will send them a letter confirming the arrangements and advise the person how to claim payment for the teaching.

3. Special Additional teaching to enrich the course subject

If the convenor(s) of the relevant teaching group(s) wish to request additional teaching to enrich the course, an application must be made on the Application Form for Additional Teaching (please find a link to the form in both Word and PDF under Related Resources above). At the start of the relevant term, please contact the Personnel Officer,, to confirm details, arrange payment and undertake a right to work check.[3]

If additional teaching is being requested from an individual who works outside the University of Oxford, there are a number of administrative issues which will need to be considered before the application is made. These are explained below.

At the start of the academic year, a record of additional teaching applications for that year will go to PRC so as to provide an overview. The Faculty considers both teaching and sabbatical very seriously.

4. Teaching in excess of normal Faculty stint (other than BCL tutorials)

A Faculty member may in exceptional circumstances be paid for lecturing or giving seminars in excess of their normal stint, provided an application using the Application for Additional Teaching Form is submitted well in advance and approved by the Vice Dean or Planning and Resources Committee.  

All stint requirements must have been met before a claim for additional payment can be made.  To claim payment, please contact, normally at the end of the academic year, with details of the seminar/lecture(s).

5. BCL/MJur Tutorials

Faculty members may receive recognition / remuneration for BCL and MJur tutorials by one or more of the following:

1. Counting tutorials against Faculty stint. 

2. Buyouts, for those with college stint and who are giving a substantial number of tutorials (advance approval required).  

3. Payment by the Faculty. 

Please see the separate page on BCL/MJur Tutorials for further information on these options, especially on obtaining advance approval for a buyout. 

6. Rates of pay for additional teaching

For Faculty teaching, the Faculty uses the teaching rates approved annually by the Planning and Resource Allocation Section of the University.  (See ‘Demo & Lecture Fees’ here.)

External rates: Payment for lecturing and seminar teaching by members of the Faculty not holding established University posts or suitably qualified individuals from outside Oxford University will always be paid at the Faculty’s external hourly rate, which in 2015-16 is £110.00 per hour, and that rate is halved if the teaching is jointly delivered by two or more people. 

There is no separate external rate of pay for BCL/MJur tutorials, which are all reimbursed at a fixed rate equivalent to the standard Senior Tutors’ Committee Rate for four in a group, currently £41.18 per hour (under review). 

Internal rates: Payments for lecturing or seminar teaching by members of the Faculty holding established University posts, where essential teaching is required in excess of their normal Faculty stint, is paid at the Faculty’s internal hourly rates.  For BCL/MJur tutorials this is equivalent to the standard Senior Tutors’ Committee Rate for four in a group, currently £41.18 per hour (under review).  For seminars or lectures the internal rate is £29 per hour, and if more than one person is leading the seminar that payment is divided equally between those people.

Payment: The Personnel Officer,  will inform lecturers, in advance of the teaching commencing, how to claim payment afterwards.  Payment is made upon receipt of a timesheet, countersigned by the person who organised the teaching. 

Payments will normally be subject to Income Tax and National Insurance and are not pensionable.

In all cases payment will be made pro rata to the length of the seminar or class.  Tutorials normally last one hour; claims for tutorials lasting longer than one hour should be accompanied by a note of explanation.

The colleges all pay for tutorial teaching using the rates listed in the ‘Senior Tutors’ Committee Register of Approved Payments’, the latest version of which can be obtained from the Conference of Colleges website here, or from your College Administrator.

7. Other key information about additional teaching

Right-to-work in the UK documentation: to comply with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006, before work can be undertaken for the Faculty (paid or otherwise) you must supply original documentation proving that you have the right to work in the UK.

Visa requirements: if the teaching is being requested from a non-EEA national, it is the responsibility of the individual to ensure that they have the correct visa or entry documentation to the UK to allow them to work for the Law Faculty and be paid for the work.  If you would like further advice on visa requirements, please contact the Personnel Officer on (0)1865 281622 or email  Please also consult the University website here for information about visitor visas.

Payment claim forms: payments cannot be made to the person providing the additional teaching until the appropriate payment forms have been completed.  The Personnel Officer will contact the teacher directly, once the additional teaching application has been accepted and ask them to complete the relevant payroll forms.

Travel: if the teacher is travelling from outside Oxford the Law Board will pay the teacher’s reasonable travel expenses within the guidelines of the University of Oxford.  Applications should give details of travel required and where possible include an estimate of the cost.

Accommodation: if the teacher requires accommodation in Oxford the Faculty can help to arrange this for them.  Reasonable rates for overnight accommodation in Oxford are considered to be up to £100.00 per night.  If the teacher is going to need help finding accommodation, please email the Personnel Officer, in advance of the teacher’s stay.  Accommodation cannot be funded from the Additional Teaching budget.

University card: in the unlikely event that the teacher will require a University card during their stay in Oxford, please contact the Personnel Officer,, who can send the appropriate forms.