Oxford Women in Law (OWL) was founded in 2014 as a network open to all Oxford Law Alumni. It strives to facilitate networking and community building amongst alumnae, current students and Oxford Law and aims to help establish best practice for recruitment and retention of women in firms and at the Bar.
Our mission is:
To provide a network for graduates of the University of Oxford working in the law to discuss career issues, particularly those facing women, to share experiences and to enhance their relationship with each other and Oxford Faculty of Law.
We will aim to achieve this through:
- Holding talks, meetings and events to facilitate networking amongst female alumnae, Faculty and current students
- Using social media to promote a sense of community
- Discussion of employment practices in relation to gender with law firms, chambers and other legal environments, informed by experience amongst existing groups and employers with schemes to promote the careers of women
- A speaker series focusing on leadership development, career advancement and strategies
- Liaison with other women’s groups such as the Bar Council, Law Society, colleges and international women’s networks
About the OWL Network
OWL will provide graduates working in the legal profession with a neutral environment where they can meet with like-minded people and share their experiences. Through networking, OWL will enable its members to grow in their existing roles and consider their future career path. It will also bring them together with colleagues working in different ways within the profession and provide a meeting ground for university friends.
OWL allows us to stay in touch with our alumni. Networking will benefit current, future and past students as well as interested members of Faculty. We hope to facilitate internships, shadowing and mentoring through this network.
OWL aims to help establish best practice for recruitment and retention of women in firms and at the Bar with guidance from existing and similar groups within the legal profession. It will be advised at a high strategic level by a panel of patrons and a steering group of alumni.
Oxford alumni can join the OWL mailing list by updating their communications preferences via My Oxford Online:
The group is also run on LinkedIn and so if you would like to join, please request to join the group via the link below.
We organise regular events to facilitate networking and information sharing.
For more information contact the Alumni Relations Team.
The Fauclty of Law incorporate equality into our core objectives, making every effort to eliminate discrimination, create equal opportunities and develop good working relationships between different people.