The University of Oxford Faculty of Law Development Council
The Oxford University Law Development Council is made up of active supporters of the Law Faculty. Most members represent institutions that have been generous in their own gifts to the Faculty. The Development Council assists the Development Office with specific tasks related to particular fundraising projects.
Specific Tasks for Members of the Oxford University Law Development Council
1. To assist with the Alumni activities for example by arranging suitable venues, hospitality, resources or suggestions for speakers.
2. To assist the Development Office with contacts and other general information as requested, e.g. appropriate names of individuals or law firms to approach when a particular funding initiative is underway such as contacts in international offices of law firms we might approach.
3. To offer advice and guidance on how best to approach contacts, i.e. special interests internal to the law firms or individuals.
4. To identify possible donors within the areas for which we are seeking funding (listed later in this document) and to provide genuine introductions of alumni or interested business contacts to the Faculty Development Office.
5. To provide material relevant to appeals or of interest to the readers of the Oxford Law News, blogs, eBulletins or relevant communiques.
6. To host lunches/dinners for:
Alumni drawn from their contemporaries at Oxford with the aim of educating them about the current activities of the Law Faculty and advising them about where their financial support would be most beneficial.
Alumni who it is thought could be brought around to supporting a specific funding initiative.
Other contacts of that member relevant to a particular fund-raising objective (as defined by the Law Faculty in the Development funding priorities).
Current Development Council Members:
Piers Prichard Jones, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer: Chair
Geoff Fuller, Allen & Overy
Timothy Gee, Baker & McKenzie
Emma Matebalavu, Clifford Chance
Catherine Howard, Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Jonathan Chertkow, Hogan Lovells
Richard Diffenthal, Hogan Lovells
Dan Metcalfe, Norton Rose Fulbright
Alison Wilson, Linklaters
Jason Collins, Pinsent Masons
Barney Reynolds, Shearman & Sterling LLP
Matthew Tobin, Slaughter and May
Felicity Toube QC, South Square Chambers
Chris Hale, Travers Smith
Oliver Brettle, White & Case
Professor Anne Davies, Dean
Professor Paul Craig, Professor of English Law: Associate Dean of Development & Communications
Maureen O’Neill, Director of Development
Michelle Robb, Executive Assistant to the Dean & Events Co-ordinator
Anthony Evans-Pughe, Donor Relations Co-ordinator; Secretary to the Law Development Council
Helen Garner, Bodleian Law Librarian