The University of Oxford Faculty of Law Development Council
The Oxford University Law Development Council is made up of active supporters of the Law Faculty. Most members represent institutions that have been generous in their own gifts to the Faculty. The Development Council assists the Development Office with specific tasks related to particular fundraising projects.
Specific Tasks for Members of the Oxford University Law Development Council
1. To assist with the Alumni activities for example by arranging suitable venues, hospitality, resources or suggestions for speakers.
2. To assist the Development Office with contacts and other general information as requested, e.g. appropriate names of individuals or law firms to approach when a particular funding initiative is underway such as contacts in international offices of law firms we might approach.
3. To offer advice and guidance on how best to approach contacts, i.e. special interests internal to the law firms or individuals.
4. To identify possible donors within the areas for which we are seeking funding (listed later in this document) and to provide genuine introductions of alumni or interested business contacts to the Faculty Development Office.
5. To provide material relevant to appeals or of interest to the readers of the Oxford Law News, blogs, eBulletins or relevant communiques.
6. To host lunches/dinners for:
- Alumni drawn from their contemporaries at Oxford with the aim of educating them about the current activities of the Law Faculty and advising them about where their financial support would be most beneficial.
- Alumni who it is thought could be brought around to supporting a specific funding initiative.
- Other contacts of that member relevant to a particular fund-raising objective (as defined by the Law Faculty in the Development funding priorities).
Current Development Council Members:
Piers Prichard Jones, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer: Chair
Jonathan Ball, Norton Rose Fulbright
Simon Branigan, Linklaters
Oliver Brettle, White & Case
Geoff Fuller, Allen & Overy
Timothy Gee, Baker & McKenzie
Chris Hale, Travers Smith
Louise Lamb, Hogan Lovells
Emma Matebalavu, Clifford Chance
Genevieve Muinzer, Foundation for International Law
Allan Myers AO QC
James Quinney, Herbert Smith Freehills
Barney Reynolds, Shearman & Sterling
David Ryan, Pinsent Masons
Matthew Tobin, Slaughter and May
William Trower QC, South Square Chambers
Professor Anne Davies: Dean
Professor Judith Freedman, Pinsent Masons Professor of Taxation Law: Associate Dean of Development & Communications
Maureen O’Neill: Director of Development
Dr. Elizabeth Hodges, Donor relations coordinator: Secretary to the Law Development Council
Ruth Bird: Bodleian Law Librarian