Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships
SCHEME NOW CLOSED
This scheme enables researchers to undertake humanities or social science doctoral degrees in any area of health
Who can apply
You can apply for a Doctoral Studentship if you want to complete a period of doctoral research leading to a PhD in any humanities or social science area. You should usually hold, or expect to hold, a relevant Master's degree.
Who cannot apply
You cannot apply if:
- you have received support for your doctoral studies from another funding body
- you are already registered for a research degree.
If you have already been unsuccessful with a full application for this scheme, please contact us before you apply again.
What it offers
A Doctoral Studentship is usually for three years, although we consider requests to undertake PhDs on a part-time basis. Support includes:
- a studentship stipend
- approved tuition fees, according to the rate charged by the training organisation
- a contribution of up to £1,500 towards the costs of attending academic meetings and conferences, including registration fees
- up to £5,000 for research expenses including the cost of overseas fieldwork if you can justify it.
What it does not offer
No funds for directly allocated or indirect costs unless they are included in the guidelines.