Function: A sub-committee of the Law Board, the Equality and Diversity Committee shall be responsible for monitoring equality and diversity in the Faculty, and for making proposals to Law Board on policies concerning equality and diversity, and for such matters as shall be referred to it by the Board. The Committee shall advise the Dean, the Vice Dean and other Faculty officers as they may request on equality and diversity matters for which they are responsible.
The Equality and Diversity Committee will be a forum for Faculty Officers to report on their activities in relation to equality, diversity and inclusion (which will also be forwarded to the Law Board with the minutes). The Committee will also provide an opportunity for students to raise matters of concern. Areas that the Committee will address may include admissions, examinations, staff recruitment, retention and remuneration, governance, the application of the University’s Equality Policy within the Faculty, and the Faculty’s policies, practices and procedures generally. The Committee shall also serve as the Self-Assessment Team for Athena SWAN in the periods when there is no separate SAT.
Membership: The Committee shall consist of the Associate Dean for Equality and Diversity (who shall chair the committee), the Vice Dean, the Associate Dean for Undergraduates, the Associate Deans for Graduates (taught and research), the Access and Outreach Co-ordinator, four other members of the Faculty at various stages of their careers, one of whom shall represent fixed-term academic post holders, and the Faculty’s Student Diversity representatives. The appointed members shall ordinarily serve for three years. The Committee may consult or co-opt one or more members of the Faculty or of Faculty staff in connection with particular matters, as it sees fit, and may establish sub-committees or working groups to consider particular items of business. The committee shall normally meet twice a term on weeks 4 and 8, and the Secretary shall be the Allen & Overy Equality and Diversity Officer.
All Committee meetings are open and any student or member of the Faculty may attend.
Meeting dates and previous meeting minutes* can be found on the right-hand side of this page.
If you would like to join the next meeting, please contact the Committee's Secretary, Clara Elod.
*Please note that, in order to access the minutes, one must be logged in.
Ex officio members:
- Kristin van Zwieten, Associate Dean for Equality and Diversity (Chair)
- Helen Scott, Vice Dean (Personnel)
- Robert Burrell, Vice Dean (Teaching and Recruitment)
- Lucinda Ferguson, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies
- Dorota Leczykiewicz, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies (Taught)
- Ben McFarlane, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies (Research)
- Andrew Higgins, Access and Outreach Co-ordinator
Other members appointed by the Board:
- Research Staff Representative: Omar Khan
- Library Representative: Margaret Watson
- Divisional representative: Catherine Goodwin
- Student representatives: Anchita Dasgupta (MPhil in Law) and Marilyn Verghis (MSc in Criminology and Criminal Justice).
Secretary: Clara Elod