We have many academic visitors to the Law Faculty. They are generally visiting the UK under an Academic Visitor visa and this allows them to conduct their own research but NOT to collaborate on a joint project or a project hosted by Oxford.

In some cases, a researcher may be applying for funding in order to cover his or her costs while in Oxford. The application may be made completely independently of Oxford, but the funder may require a letter of support from the potential host institution.

The examples below demonstrate recent cases:

1. If someone wishes to apply for a fellowship that would be paid directly to them, and a member of the Law Faculty is interested in acting as the mentor to the proposed Research Fellow, then we may provide a letter of support, outlining how the proposed research fits with the mentor’s research interests or interests of other Faculty members, and how the Fellow would benefit from being based in the Faculty while conducting his own research. We may confirm that we can provide access to the libraries, access to attend open seminars and events. We would not normally offer a desk or office space, IT support or help in getting a college association, however in some cases the academic member of the Faculty may wish to support these extra items.

2. An overseas academic may want to name a member of the Law Faculty on a research grant application. No funds will come to Oxford but each will be able to travel to the other’s institution for a short visit and the costs will be covered by the project budget, held by the overseas institution. The Law Faculty researcher may feel that there are no obligations on him or her beyond attending a workshop overseas and meeting for dinner in Oxford. It would normally be sensible for the Oxford academic/researcher to speak to the Research Facilitator to check on the funder’s expectations of the Law Faculty or the University. Some funders would expect that all named partners, individuals or institutions are liable in the event of missed project deliverables.

3. An overseas academic may apply for research funding and describe a visit to Oxford as an essential part of that project. The Oxford Law Faculty might be named as a host institution and the academic may ask for a letter of support from the Law Faculty that he would submit with the grant application. We would normally need to see the funding application to understand the Faculty’s obligations before being able to provide a letter of support. We would normally offer the overseas academic the status of Academic Visitor.

In all of the above cases, the visitor would be responsible for ensuring that they apply for and obtain the correct work permit or visa. We would need to see this before issuing a library card when the visitor arrives in Oxford.