Dr Florian Grisel, Associate Professor of Socio-Legal Studies, is looking for a research assistant to help with a project on the International Court of Justice (ICJ) and the International Law Commission (ILC). The research assistant will be working closely with the lead researcher and perform the following tasks:
- Complete a database, in paper and electronic format, of publications on the ICJ and the ILC, including publications by court officials, judges, major counsel and members of the ICJ/ILC.
- Attend interviews and transcribe written notes and/or recordings of the same interviews.
- Draft biographical notes of major actors of the ICJ/ILC.
- Identify and review the available archives of former judges, counsel and members of the ICJ/ILC.
Duration and hours
Total number of hours of work available: 450 hours. Weekly hours are by mutual agreement between the research assistant and the PI.
Start date: 31 January 2022
Date by which the work must be completed: 24 April 2022
The Research Assistant will report to Florian Grisel.
- A general understanding of the field of law is desirable.
- A knowledge of international law is desirable.
- Good research and IT skills are essential.
- Most of the work for this role can be done remotely, although the RA may be required to undertake research trips to London and/or Cambridge for archive identification. Travel funds will be available to reimburse research trip costs. Travel funds cannot, however, be used to cover the cost of travel into Oxford.
This position is best suited to recent graduate research students and post-doctoral researchers in the Law Faculty, including its Centres, but is not compatible with full- or part-time study or full-time work. It is expected that the work will be undertaken in the UK.
Rate of Pay
This will be paid at the standard research assistant rate of £15.60 per hour (based on Grade 6 point 1) plus holiday pay of £1.88 per hour worked (= total of £17.48/hour).
This project is funded by the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies.
How to Apply
A short CV and cover letter should be sent by email to (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 10th December 2021. Please explain how you meet the requirements for the role, and give details of your availability.
Informal enquiries may be emailed to email@example.com.