The Bonavero Institute of Human Rights and Leigh Day invite you to the launch of the book 'Human Rights Litigation against Multinationals in Practice' (Oxford University Press, 2021) edited by Richard Meeran. This book provides a thorough review of multinational human rights litigation in various countries where such litigation has been pursued, predominantly on behalf of victims in the Global South. It covers cases relating to environmental damage, occupational disease, human rights abuses involving complicity with state security, and in the context of supply chains and features contributions from the UK, South Africa, Canada, Australia, the US, the Netherlands, France, and Germany. Chapters come from highly experienced legal practitioners who have run many of the key ground-breaking cases, and who understand the opportunities and hurdles that arise in practice. In this roundtable discussion, contributors to the volume will provide perspectives and insights into the features of the relevant laws, procedures, and practical considerations in various legal systems.
Attendees will receive a 30% discount code for ordering the book following the event.
- Anita Ramasastry, Professor of Law, University of Washington; Vice Chair, United Nations Working Group on Business and Human Rights, USA
- Robert McCorquodale, Professor of International Law and Human Rights, University of Nottingham; Barrister and Mediator, Brick Court Chambers London; Founder of Inclusive Law, UK
- Richard Meeran, Partner and Head of the International Department, Leigh Day, UK
- Daniel Leader, Partner, Leigh Day, UK
- Zanele Mbuyisa, Director, Mbuyisa Moleele Attorneys, South Africa
- Jason Brickhill, Doctoral candidate and tutor, Faculty of Law, University of Oxford; Advocate, Johannesburg Bar; Honorary Research Associate, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Bruce Johnston, Founding Partner, Trudel Johnston & Lespérance, Quebec
- Peter Cashman, Barrister; Adjunct Professor of Law, University of New South Wale, Australia
- Paul Hoffman, Partner, Schonbrun Seplow Harris Hoffman & Zeldes LLP, USA
- Channa Samkalden, Partner, Prakken d' Oliveira Human Rights Lawyers, Netherands
- Miriam Saage-Maaß, Vice Legal Director/Director Business Human Rights Programme, European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, Germany
- Rae Lindsay, Partner, Co-Head of Public International Law, ESG Risk and Business and Human Rights practices, Clifford Chance LLP, UK
- Susan Dunn, Founder, Harbour Litigation Funding, UK
For the Bonavero Institute, the book launch is part of the Project on Civil Liability for Human Rights Violations funded by the Oak Foundation.