The Future of Technology and Society Discussion group welcomes everyone to its first meeting!
The first discussion of the group will centre around the following issues:
- Definition and purpose of technology
- Societal expectations from technology
- Whether technology diminishes values
- Whether technology could enable people to become part of the production of science rather than part of labor
Here are some suggested readings which will lead the discussion:
- Technology and the Laws of Its Development / A. Zvorikine / Technology and Culture Vol.3/4 (https://www.jstor.org/stable/3100995)
- Technology and Values: A Philosopher’s Perspective/ P. Durbin/ Technology and Culture Vol.13/4 (https://www.jstor.org/stable/3102836)
- Inventing the Internet: Scapegoat, Sin Eater, and Trickster / Alex Krotoski /in Society and the Internet: How Networks of Information and Communication are Changing Our Lives (eds) Mark Graham and William Dutton (https://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199661992.001.0001/acprof-9780199661992-chapter-2)
Sandwiches will be provided.
Please kindly note that we have limited space available, therefore we would highly appreciate if you could confirm your attendance via email to Beril Boz by 2 March 2020.