Catherine Redgwell has been appointed as the new Chichele Professor of Public International Law, following the retirement of Professor Vaughan Lowe QC in September 2012. Since 2004 Catherine Redgwell has been Professor of International Law at the Faculty of Laws, University College London, having previously held positions at the Universities of Oxford (University Lecturer and Reader in Public International Law), Nottingham and Manchester. She has served on secondment to the Legal Advisers, Foreign & Commonwealth Office. Professor Redgwell will take up the Chichele Professorship in September 2013.
Professor Redgwell is a member of the Council of the British Branch of the International Law Association, and of the Public International Law Advisory Board of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. Catherine is a long-standing member of the International Bar Association’s Academic Advisory Group of the Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law, and has also been a member of its steering committee for a number of years. She has served on a number of journal editorial and advisory boards, including as joint general editor and chair of the editorial board of the International and Comparative Law Quarterly (2006-2012).
She is author of numerous books, book chapters, and articles in the public international law field in the areas of international environmental law, international energy law, law of the sea, and treaty law. Recent publications include co-authored new editions of Birnie & Boyle’s International Law & the Environment (OUP, 2009) and of Lyster’s International Wildlife Law (CUP, 2010), with a substantially revised fourth edition of International Law & the Environment, and a third edition of Energy Law in Europe (OUP), due in 2014. Catherine is currently co-investigator, with the Universities of Oxford and Sussex, in a two year (2012-2014) research project on Climate Geoengineering Governance (CGG) funded by the ESRC and AHRC. The Chichele Professorship was established in 1859. Previous holders include Sir Humphrey Waldock and Sir Ian Brownlie.