The Inner Temple
Professor Tarun Khaitan has been appointed as an Academic Fellow of the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple. Four Honorary Fellows have been appointed, each serving for three years. Dr Ruvi Ziegler. previously a Tutor In Public international Law at the faculty, was also appointed as an Academic Fellow. The Inner Temple have released the following statement with further information:
The Inner Temple Appoints New Academic Fellows
Four leading legal academics have been appointed Academic Fellows of the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple. Dr Alison Lui (Liverpool John Moores University) Dr Adaeze Okoye (Canterbury Christ Church University), Dr Ruvi Ziegler (University of Reading) and Dr Tarun Khaitan (University of Oxford) have been selected to take up this prestigious three-year role.
The Inner Temple’s Academic Fellows Scheme aims to recognise the outstanding contribution of legal teaching and research of early to mid-career academics. It also aims to support their research and to build a stronger relationship between the Bar, judiciary and legal academia.
The chief executive of the Inner Temple, Patrick Maddams, said: “Debate and discussion are at the very heart of the legal world, both in practice and in academia and having the opportunity to bring together practitioners and academics, who we recognise for their outstanding contribution to teaching and research, is a key principle of the Inner Temple. The Inner Temple’s Academic Fellows Scheme helps to foster debate and understanding between these two communities.”
In addition to its fundamental training role, the Inner Temple works closely with universities across the UK to provide information on the profession to aspiring entrants. Last year, the Inner Temple reached nearly 3000 university students and hundreds of legal academics and tutors. This included its specific programmes to support students from non-traditional backgrounds to enter the profession.
The newly appointed Fellows join the following academics who were elected in the previous two years:
- Dr Yvonne McDermott (University of Bangor)
- Dr Dimitrios Giannoulopoulos (Brunel University)
- Shazia Choudhry (Queen Mary, University of London)
- Dr Colin King (University of Manchester)
- Dr David Lowe (Liverpool John Moores University)
- Dr Maksymilian Del Mar (Queen Mary, University of London)
- Dr James Goudkamp (University of Oxford)
- Dr Barbara Lauriat (King’s College London)
- Dr Jo Braithwaite (London School of Economics & Political Science)
- Dr des Eddie Bruce-Jones (Birkbeck, University of London)
- Per Laleng (University of Kent)
- Dr Ronan McCrea (University College London)
Previous Academic Fellows include:
- Professor Andrew Francis (Keele University)
- James Lee (King’s College London)
- Dr Catherine MacKenzie (University of Cambridge)
- Dr Iyiola Solanke (University of Leeds).
- Joanna Miles (University of Cambridge)
- Dr Andrew Scott (London School of Economics)
- Professor Christian Twigg-Flesner (University of Hull)
- Dr Paul Wragg (University of Leeds)
For enquiries regarding the Academic Fellows Scheme please contact Struan Campbell at the Inner Temple