We are pleased to invite submissions for the fifth issue of Kohl: a Journal for Body and Gender Research, slated for publication in June 2017. Young activists, independent researchers, graduate students and fresh graduates are particularly encouraged to apply. We also welcome submissions from seminal contributors in the field.
For this issue of Kohl, we are looking for papers centered in feminist, queer, and intersectionality theories that complicate the bold binary between regular and irregular migration, trouble the distinctions among economic migrants, the forcefully displaced, and refugees, and take the Middle East and North Africa regions as one of the focal points of migration. We are interested in works archiving im/migrant stories and the collective memory of migration. We look to trouble the institutional quantitative approaches to historicizing demographic shifts associated to the current generation of migration.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Archiving immigrant stories through oral history
- Critical studies of Institutional and International Law approaches and strategies, particularly quantitative ones, to mass migration and their effects
- The reconceptualization of urban territories through migration
- The reconceptualization of space and memory through migration
- Documenting instances of homonationalism and the tokenization of queer migrants
- Troubling the hypersexualization/desexualization of queer and women migrants
- Challenging the multiculturalist approaches to migration, particularly in host countries
- Migration flows and the creation of new informal labor markets
- The right to work and the freedom of mobility at transit nodes
- People in transit nodes, access to social services, and the temporality of acceptance
- Effects of power dynamics associated with gender on migration decisions, destinations and expectations
For research articles, please select “research” in the online submission form. For opinion pieces, testimonies, essays, interviews, literary pieces, and other texts, please select “other” in the online submission form. For visual and audiovisual material, please contact us at email@example.com
Click here to submit a manuscript through the Kohl editorial manager system.
Click here to review our submission guidelines.